It takes a large community to achieve our vision of thriving and sustainable fisheries and fishing communities in Monterey Bay, and a small, efficient team to lead the effort. If you believe in our mission to support the social, economic, and environmental sustainability of Monterey Bay fisheries, then there may be a role for you at the Monterey Bay Fisheries Trust.
We currently have an opening for a half-time (20 hours per week) Administrative Assistant to help manage our day to day operations. Responsibilities include basic bookkeeping, database and file management, communications, and fundraising support. Full job description and qualifications below.
Administrative Assistant – Half Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Monterey (there may be some flexibility in office location)
Schedule: Monday - Friday
Hours: 20 hours per week (with some flexibility on timing)
Compensation: Pay is commensurate with experience
The Monterey Bay Fisheries Trust (MBFT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to advance the social, economic, and environmental sustainability of Monterey Bay fisheries. We are working on programs to rebuild markets for local, sustainable seafood; protect access to historic fishing rights; provide business support services for fishermen; cultivate local leadership in fisheries management, research and conservation; and educate the public about the importance of fisheries and fishing communities in the Monterey Bay region.
Purpose: To support the daily operations of a small nonprofit organization.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Administrative Support
- Performs basic bookkeeping tasks including paying bills, cutting and mailing checks, making deposits, invoicing, reconciling accounts, running financial reports, assisting with annual audit, etc.
- Prepares for Board of Directors and other meetings by coordinating meeting time and location, sending out invitations and managing attendee lists, preparing rooms, preparing and distributing documents, taking minutes, etc.
- Maintains and organizes institutional files and documents (primarily in online storage).
- Manages and maintains the MBFT Salesforce database, including data entry, updates and reporting. This requires commitment to secure computing practices and confidential management of data.
- Assists with organizational calendar/scheduling and travel arrangements of employees for presentations, conferences, etc.
- Coordinates insurance coverage for staff and the organization.
- Collects and sorts mail.
- Purchases office supplies.
- Manages repair and maintenance of office equipment, including computers, phones and printers.
- Assists in finding a new office space for the MBFT.
- Performs general administrative support.
- Processes donations.
- Assists with donor communications, including appeals and letters of acknowledgement.
- Manages fundraising calendar, tracking grant deadlines, reports, and payments due.
- Assists with coordination, preparation, and execution of fundraising events.
- Serves as first point of contact for the organization through email and telephone.
- Coordinates MBFT tabling at community events.
- Coordinates bulk mailings.
- At least four years of administrative experience (at a nonprofit organization a plus)
- Excellent organizational, analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Computer proficiency (Windows, Word, Excel) on Mac platform
- Experience with bookkeeping (QuickBooks a plus)
- Experience with database management (Salesforce a plus)
- Ability to self-manage
- Flexibility – willingness to adapt to change in a growing organization
- Commitment to and passion for the Monterey Bay Fisheries Trust’s mission
How to Apply
If you have the motivation and skills for the Administrative Assistant position, please send a cover letter (include desired salary range) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Administrative Assistant in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and email. Background checks, writing samples, and computer skills tests may be required of final candidates for this position.
The Monterey Bay Fisheries Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an environment free from any form of unlawful discrimination. Discriminatory actions are strictly prohibited. It is the policy of the Monterey Bay Fisheries Trust to promote a positive program of specific practices designed to ensure equal opportunity without regard to race, sex (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partnership status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, special disabled veteran status, veteran status, medical condition, genetic characteristics and information, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), parental status, political affiliations, military service, family care leave status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful. This policy governs all aspects of employment at the Trust, including hiring, assignments, training, promotions, compensation, employee benefits, employee discipline and discharge, and all other terms and conditions of employment.